IYENGAR YOGA FOR A HEALTHY BACK
In this special weekly class in Amsterdam we will deepen the awareness of our back through the practice of asanas with a special attention to the back, neck & shoulders. Each class will focus on another theme and once a month there will be a restorative class to release, soften and open the different parts of the back (very useful to alleviate pain).
strengthen and mobilize your back, neck & shoulders
- Each class will focus on another theme such as lower back, neck & shoulders, abdominals, etc.
- once a month there will be a more restorative class to release, soften and open the different parts of the back and find ways to alleviate pain.
- During each class we will deepen the awareness of our back (in interaction with the front of our body).
- We will perform asanas to release and soften parts of our back which tend to tense.
- We will learn to strengthen potentially weaker parts of the body to create more balance (in the front and back of the body) with the aim to integrate the whole body.
- We will learn how to make personal adjustments using props for a correct and healthy alignment.
A short little TV video in which Dr. Jay Adlersberg explains how Iyengar yoga practice can help chronic neck pain as well as other chronic back conditions.
Iyengar Yoga & chronic back pain – A study
IYENGAR YOGA & LOWER BACK PAIN A study was done to compare the effect of Iyengar yoga therapy with standard medical care, on 90 participants who suffer from a chronic back pain. The study was published in the Harvard Health Publications, a summary is available on our site.
Anna Städler – the teacher
Anna is a certified Iyengar yoga teacher who is passionate about therapeutic applications of Yoga. She has been assisting and learning in Medical Yoga classes during and after completing her Teacher Training program.
With a background as a professional dancer, Anna has personal experience dealing with back injuries and pain. She is keen on sharing her knowledge with students.